Thomas B Stewart Legislative Office Building
Judge Thomas B. Stewart Legislative Office Building
Named after a pioneer of the Alaska Judiciary System, JYW assisted the Alaska State Legislature in the completion of a comprehensive conditions assessment for the historic Shrine Temple adjacent to the Capitol. Originally constructed in 1928 the building had long served as the home of the Juneau Masonic and Shine organizations. Its location directly adjacent to the Capitol made it a natural consideration when the need for additional legislative office space became apparent. Our assessment determined that the existing structure of the building was in very good shape. We were then retained to provide design and construction administration of an extensive renovation that included the construction of a skybridge connecting the building to the Capitol and reconfiguration of the spaces to accommodate offices, meeting rooms, public spaces and a child care facility; yet retained the architectural character and history of the building.
* Photos by Frank Wilson