Foss Malcolm Olsen
Foss Olsen Sands
Jensen Yorba Lott
In 1935 Harold Byron Foss at the age of 25 and a fresh graduate of the University of Washington, School of Architecture arrived in Juneau and opened an architectural practice known as the H.B. Foss Company. H.B. (or Hal as he was known) was actively involved in the design and construction industry that shaped the built environment in the Territory of Alaska. One of his earliest projects was the design and development of the 30 unit Fosbee Apartments located just a block away from the Governor's House in Juneau which was constructed in 1936 at a cost of $100,000. He went on to design projects across the state from Snag Point (now Dillingham) to Ketchikan and countless communities in between.
The first partner in the firm was Mackay Malcolm who, along with his family arrived in Juneau in 1945. One of Mackay's most notable projects was the design of the Juneau Public Library (now the Juneau Douglas City Museum), which was funded in large part by fundraising efforts of the Juneau Rotary Club and constructed at a cost of $124,000 by the local firm of Triplette & Dalziel.
In 1949, Foss and Malcolm were joined in partnership by Hal's former UW classmate Bjarne Olsen a previous employee of the firm from 1939-1941. In the early days Hal, Bjarne and Ed would travel around the state mostly by boat, visiting communities and garnering new work. They would be gone for months at a time and often the design would be complete before they returned to the office in Juneau. Bjarne who was of a particularly artistic nature developed quite a talent for wood block carving. His "White Dot" serves as our firm logo and several other prints on parchment adorn the walls of our office along with various watercolor and pencil sketches completed by Ed.
Following the passing of Mackay Malcolm in 1951, the new partnership of Foss and Olsen was born. It was during this time that the firm designed the Alaska Office Building, Bethel Hospital and what is now the Begich Towers in Whittier.
Hal and Bjarne were joined in the firm by yet another UW classmate, Ed Sands in 1956.
In 1958, Hal left Alaska for the sunnier climate of California leaving his well established practice in the capable hands of Bjarne and Ed who went on to design the Juneau Municipal Airport Terminal Building, Dillingham High School, University of Alaska Bio-Sciences Building, along with countless other facilities throughout Alaska.
In 1968, Douglas Ackley joined the firm and became a partner a year later upon the departure of Bjarne. The newly renamed Sands & Ackley designed facilities such as the Delta Junction High School, Ketchikan General Hospital, Sitka Court & Office Building, and Petersburg Post Office and Federal Building.
In 1974 Ed Sands retired and the firm was turned over to Douglas Ackley who formed Ackley and Associates. During this time the firm designed notable buildings such as Sealaska Plaza, Hydaburg School, and Ketchikan Community College.
In 1977 Wayne Jensen joined the firm and was elevated to partner in 1979. The firm, now known as Ackley/Jensen Architects designed the award winning Southeast Regional Fire Training Center, Glacier Fire Crash & Rescue Station, and the Juneau Centennial Hall (J/V with John Graham). Tony Yorba joined the firm in 1983 followed by Joann Lott in 1984.
In 1985 following the retirement of Doug Ackley, Wayne and new partner Jonathan Douglas formed Jensen Douglas Architects and under their leadership the firm designed the Petersburg High School, Gastineau Salmon Hatchery and Mt. Robert's Tram.
It was in 1996 that partner Jonathan Douglas departed and Wayne was joined by new partners Tony Yorba and Joann Lott. In the past fourteen years our firm has provided design services throughout Coastal Alaska and the work we have completed in that time can be seen in our portfolio pages.
We are honored to uphold the legacy of design appropriate for the Alaskan environment established by Harold Foss and look forward to many more years of service to the citizens of Alaska.